Friday, April 12, 2013

Community -communities or is it just a matter of approache


So as I am planning this writing workshop I am conflicted between several approaches.

1. The prompt centered one, where the 'leader' supplies the group with mind bugling, or just simply inspirational prompts, to get the juices flowing and to write consistently.

I used to enjoy that, and still do. Especially seeing the results and how differently people responded to the same prompts.

2. The multigenre centered approach, in which to a specified genre every member of the group can choose his/her topic to write to, and the only rule is 'follow the genre'.

I enjoyed that just as much, if not more. It is a very challenging method that helped me as a writer to find my comfort zone, as well as those writing genres that I felt uncomfortable with. I found, very surprisingly, that I like humor and irony, and am quite good at that. I liked the freedom to choose my own topics. I found however, that many people find this approach a bit too vague and hard to follow.

3. The theme centered approach; these are writing groups that center, usually, around memories, life stories, or autobiography themes.

I used to find them appealing and can see how they could be seen as the best approach for groups of older adults but personally, and maybe because I was involved in so many hours of this type of writing, I find in myself a certain reluctance to use it. Definitely more structured but as a writer, one needs to tread carefully and at times confronting emotional topics heads on can be intimidating.

4. The single genre approach, namely workshops that are centered on poetry, fiction writing, sci-fi, horror etc.

These ones can be great for those writers who know who they are and want to build up on that direction, but  maybe not for the beginner writer, who are hesitant about its writing voice.

5. And finally the completely open ones where the 'leader' says "just write about anything." I was in one and found it to be quiet ineffective.

I did not mention those groups where writing is being done ‘on the fly’ meaning it is done solely in the group and it is usually a timed writing to prompts. I am not sure how I feel about this practice. Though I can see how it can be used effectively to encourage writing.  After reading Kenneth Koch book about writing in a nursing home I discovered another face to this type of writing and can see how it can be used effectively. 

No comments:

Post a Comment